View Single Post
Old December 17th, 2012, 01:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
CVL
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_in_mtl View Post
My mistake - missed the part that the file is a .zip file. Yes, those can be flashed from recovery. I am used to seeing the oem releases as .tar files, and those require odin

You should be good to go
Thanks for the confirmation. It almost sounds too easy to downgrade this way, I'm afraid I'm missing some important points here.

To summarize:

In order to downgrade from Jelly Bean to ICS 4.0.4. over the air (OTA)

- I download an OTA zip file of my choice
- Put it onto my external SD card
- Go into Recovery Mode on the phone
- Follow the instructions mentioned above

And that's it?

What if something goes wrong during the downgrade, will it automatically return to JB by turning the tablet on/off or can the tablet be bricked with this method?

Quote:
PS - if you ever decided to root your tablet, there is a Tablet.zip file over on XDA that you can flash to the JB Stock rom, it basically gives you the same tablet look and feel as the ICS 4.0.4
I actually don't mind Jelly Bean except for the upper notification bar. I would really like to install the JB tablet ui if that was possible without having to root.

I'd be really pleased if I can get back to the previous ICS version using the easy method mentioned above though without having to root, so I guess I have a choice to make now. If only the JB UI gave me a choice to choose where I want my notifications in the first place it would have been much better. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinon View Post
It should be possible to flash older rom via Odin. i do it all the time on my phone. though never tried on the tab.

I updated my tab this two days back, and i prefer the old notification bar on the bottom. but can leave with the changes there. didn't find any other issues other then my home screens were reset to default.
Yeah, Jelly Bean seems like a nice enough OS except for the notification bar and loss of screen estate. Since I mostly use my tablet in landscape view the notification bar is difficult to ignore for me though.
The Following User Says Thank You to CVL For This Useful Post:
kbbru (December 17th, 2012)