Thread: windows 8
View Single Post
Old December 20th, 2012, 02:41 AM   #115 (permalink)
Speed Daemon
Disabled

Device(s):
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinny View Post
Touch screen monitors are too expensive for my tastes...
I've been hearing predictions that "touch screens are the wave of the future that will revolutionize computing" for well over 30 years now. I'm still not seeing it.

I got to use a CDC PLATO V terminal, which was interesting at the time, but crude when compared to the Xerox Star.

I've seen enough office workers with those wrist things, repetitive stress injuries and worse from keyboarding. I don't even want to know what kind of repetitive injuries might come from using a desktop touchscreen all day.

After the novelty of using a touch screen phone/tablet has worn off, there are a lot of things that I'd much rather have off-screen controls for on my hand-held devices. But they can only be operated by the touch screen.

Quote:
As far as windows, I agree with ocn. I'm still rocking xp and 7, on two seperate machines. The xp could easily go to 7....but why change it if it is not broken?
But you know that sooner or later Microsoft will get it to be broken.

There are a lot of things that Windows 2000 would be perfectly fine for. But because Windows developers rush to the latest Microsoft development toys, and produce output that needs XP or greater to run, I've been forced to upgrade. Eventually XP will suffer the same fate. And so on and so on.

I wouldn't mind if I actually saw some genuine benefit for the user, but all I see is planned obsolescence. If a similar thing was done with cars for example, say a new fuel every three or four years that older cars can't use, people would be up in arms about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Speed Daemon For This Useful Post:
argedion (January 28th, 2013)