Yeah, just in time for Christmas. He's claiming in even MORE spam reviews that it has a trojan/virus. I know where this guy lives, his phone number, email address (he has no concept of the importance of privacy apparently).
I will probably do the following - wait until next week for a reply from Google. If no response, I'll contact the loser directly. If that doesn't work, I'm afraid I'll have to go nuclear and play his game. I REALLY don't want to do that, but maybe I can use 50 1-star reviews as leverage on him to delete his. But that has the potential of an arms race. And time. And I'd lose the moral high ground.
Any other thoughts from you all?