View Single Post
Old December 26th, 2012, 01:00 AM   #21 (permalink)
kool kat2

Device(s): HTC One M8
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by copestag View Post
You can ignore the blue text below.... its what I was originally typing before it dawned on me.... the best way to get the point across is an example based on your own arguments..... since you mentioned statutory rape Ill use that

so here goes:

a guy brutally rapes, tortures, and murders someone at the age of 15....... you want him tried as an adult because he was mentally capable as an adult at the age of 15

what if you later found out that same guy at the age of 15 was in a sexual relationship with a 40 year old woman.... would you also want that woman arrested for statutory rape?

either hes an adult or he isnt.......... statutory rape implies hes not an adult........ but murder implies he is?

you cant (in good faith) have it both ways...........but under the law you can today

we arent however talking about today........ and under the laws at the time he committed the crime.... he could not be tried as an adult....... therefore he cannot be tried that way today......

3 years juvi maximum sentence legally possible

ignore blue text below...... unless your curious about a different approach at futility

as I said......

would you feel the same way if he was 6 when he did it?...... what if he was 10?

at what age do you qualify someone as 'adult'............ the law has said 18 is a reasonable age to use

when we start making exceptions to the law its a slippery slope..... for what criteria do we make exceptions......... shouldnt exceptions work both ways?

so if you say certain people at age 15 are mentally competent to be considered adult if they commit a crime.......... then should we also agree that certain people should be allowed to legally drink @ 15? do we have some test to base the criteria on?

we shouldnt be making exceptions to law only when it works in the governments favor.......... the laws should be adhered to no matter the circumstance
My point was, for example : 20 year old man /woman bangs 17 year old girl /boy consensually. Said 20 year old would get a harsher sentence than mr. Rape/Torture /murder. In my opinion (i said my own personal opinion that i am well aware not everyone shares..... Even though im all knowing) that's just plain dumb. I was just pointing that out. And yes, if a 6 year old rapes/tortures/murders someone, that kid is jacked up already. Life in prison for the little runt. At least that is my opinion at the moment, at least until I hear of a case in wich a 6 year old does that, then i might feel differently, who knows.

And i wasn't arguing about how competent someone is at 15,i was saying that if a 15 year old does those things, then thats just messed up all around, competent or not.

Can you clarify what you mean by "a different approach at futility"?

The need for all these disclaimers is really annoying