View Single Post
Old December 26th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #512 (permalink)
TorontoCCWGuy

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

As a longtime cellphone dealer (since 1985) with several locations and service I would caution EVERYONE USING THE USB CONNECTION on ANY cellphone. Why? USB connections are generally flimsy and open to dirt and (yes, believe it or not, we have even seen apple pie in them) other contaminants. They are also very susceptible to vibration and mechanical stresses. We see an enormous number of phones coming in that have defective USB sockets on them, either filled with apple pie and other crud, or even worse (apple pie can be cleaned out with a toothbrush) the connector has been stresses against the circuit board to the extent that it has busted the solder connections, broken or lifted the foils, etc. The latter problems are generally big bucks to repair; in the order of water damage repair. They tend to toss the PC board and replace it with a new one. Best at this point to just get a new phone.... it is often cheaper.

Sorry to be so verbose, but I just want to warn folks against using docking stations or anything that uses the USB port on their phone. I cannot comment on the Note 2 specifically but I can say, in general, I have seen hundreds if not thousands of defective USB ports. Never force a connection... never wiggle the connector/cable.... be gentle and your phone will treat you well.

For what it is worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
Now, for those of you that are like me and are completely obsessed with car docks and having a good car dock, I've been reserved about the Samsung Car Docks, especially the way the dock is connected to the mount...until...I found a solution that I can use with my ProClip vehicle mount! I did a little research to find this info, but the original Galaxy Note dock (and I believe the Galaxy S 2 and possibly GS3 car dock) use a Richter 4 prong mounting set up.

I found this adaptor that should work perfectly with ProClip Vehicle Specific mounts!

Amazon.com: iGrip / Herbert Richter (HR) Standard AMPS Pattern In-Dash Vehicle Swivel Base Mount: Electronics

Brodit Device Mounting Adapter Plate with Tilt Swivel #215114 - Expansys USA

So, assuming Samsung creates another vehicle dock, like they did for the original Note, this has pushed the Note 2 as the likely choice for my next upgrade. For those of you that have never seen the original Note Vehicle dock, here's a video that gives a good breakdown:

Samsung Galaxy Note Vehicle Dock Unboxing & Demonstration - YouTube
The Following User Says Thank You to TorontoCCWGuy For This Useful Post:
atrain311 (January 17th, 2013)