View Single Post
Old December 27th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
CDPlant
ALL CAPS

Device(s): Nexus 5, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7
Carrier: 3 UK

Hey

If you want vanilla android, your best bet is Cyanogenmod or another AOSP ROM, such as Slim bean, which come in Android version 4.1.2 [Jelly Bean] and 4.2.1 [Jelly Bean MR1]. These ROMs are very similar to the one you would find on a Galaxy Nexus or Nexus 4, but with lots of added features.

Cyanogenmod is currently on version 10.1, which is Android version 4.2.1. You can find download links here - CyanogenMod Downloads. I haven't tried 10.1 yet, but I must say CM10 was extremely buggy and there were a lot of things broken, and there can only be more bugs in 10.1.

I've heard Slim bean is quite good, but again it will have a lot of bugs too, as the developers do not have the proper sources to make certain things work (such as the hardware composer and the camera.)

Quote:
From what I've read, I need a modem, kernel and ROM - is this correct?
Mostly you need the ROM, as it will contain a modem and a kernel with it, however you can flash different ones if you would prefer. Siyah kernel is a very good one, but will only work on CM10 (please be careful if you decide to flash another kernel and check if it's compatible with your ROM )

On my HTC Desire HD, I couldn't wait to get vanilla android on it because I didn't like Sense at all, but with my S3 I think they have done a great job on Touchwiz, and a lot of things they have added have been useful to me. But I can understand why people want AOSP
The Following User Says Thank You to CDPlant For This Useful Post:
andy9l (December 28th, 2012)