View Single Post
Old December 28th, 2012, 08:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
andy9l
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): S3 i9300 (SIM-free)
Carrier: Three

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUroot View Post
Touchwiz custom roms are great. If you don't like the launcher (touchwiz home) just use apex or nova (vanilla style launchers on play).

Aosp/aokp/cm lose so many features it seems pointless to me
It's the whole feel of TouchWiz though - not just the home launcher. I'm already using Nova Launcher Prime - which is great, as a launcher.

The TW lock screen, for example, looks like something a child would make. The notification bar is perfect as it comes from Google, why did Samsung feel the need to change it? The gallery looks like a "my first website", and the bloatware...well. They're a few from the top of my head.

TouchWiz is unprofessional, especially aesthetically. That's my personal opinion, at least. Things like "double-tap to top" don't even work anyway so I'm not fussed about losing the buggy features bundled with TW.

I've been looking at SuperNexus Build 5 - anyone have any experience with this? Looks pretty sound - my only concern being that he claims to be 16 years old. Not sure if that's a nerd joke or not.

Edit: You're a very knowledgeable guy - any chance you could give a rough overview on how to apply one of these custom ROMs?

As I understand it, I need to root (somehow!), install CWM (somehow!), copy a zipped ROM over to the phone, along with a Google apps .zip, use CWM to install both. Sound about right? Any advice for the actual rooting step?
Last edited by andy9l; December 28th, 2012 at 08:23 AM.