View Single Post
Old December 28th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
andy9l
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): S3 i9300 (SIM-free)
Carrier: Three

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUroot View Post
Yes indeed.

However a couple of tips....

1. User triangle away to reset the custom binary counter. If this reports more than 0, then warranty is void. It shows a red exclamation mark on the boot animation, so ensure this app clears that away.

2. If it still boots but you have to return it for warranty, flash a stock ROM back first.

3. If it doesn't boot, as long as you do 1., you're ok.

Being an (ex) AOSP developer, all I can say is yes, AOKP and CM are based on AOSP but the features that both teams add still take the ROM far away from the Pure android experience. They just look more "Vanilla".

They miss all touchwiz features but add some of their own. If I really wanted AOSP on my S3 (If I didn't have the skills to compile my own ROM) I would use CM or AOKP.
I appreciate that, but the closer to AOSP, the better - at least that's my opinion for now. I'd like to try one, but don't want to bother if it's a half-working piece of software. Absolutely no disrespect to the developers of these ROMs, I realise it's a mammoth task to get one running - but I'm not enough of a geek to put up with any major technical quirks. I can handle no NFC, and other smaller (generally unused) features.

SuperNexus looks very positive, but I'm new to this so suggestions for other popular ROM (or dev teams) would be appreciated.

Edit: I can't help but notice the possibility that the phone could become completely bricked. I'm used to dealing with Jailbreaking iOS devices where bricking is impossible. Is there much risk? I'm reasonably techie, so shouldn't make any completely ridiculous mistakes...