View Single Post
Old December 29th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #44 (permalink)
andy9l
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): S3 i9300 (SIM-free)
Carrier: Three

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUroot View Post
You know you want a ROM so you're not rooting for nothing. Just because you don't know which one yet doesn't mean you're wasting your time.
This is true. I know you're against this particular 16 year old boy due to his history, but of the current AOSP ROMs, his "SuperNexus" is looking pretty reliable. He clearly states, and others too, that it is just a stable version of CM - so he's not "stealing" as such.

Only thing is, a number of people are suggesting the use of Siyah kernel over CM kernel due to fewer bugs. What would be the process (post root) of me flashing SuperNexus, for example, but using Siyah kernel. I have a very rough understanding of a kernel within a computer, I assume it's the same on these devices now. Does this begin to increase brick-risk?!

Another question, regarding the installation of 4.2 Google apps - is this a standard zip across ROMs or do I need a specific zip? I really do like the gallery app from 4.2, I'm not too fussed about the rest, but they would be nice. I flash my chosen ROM, then immediately flash Google apps, as I understand it - correct?

Finally, it's recommended to do a "full data wipe" before flashing a ROM. In my head, that means pretty much everything but CWM is going to get deleted. Install guides tell you to put the ROM/GApps zip files onto the internal SD card, then wipe. How do they survive the wipe? Does the wipe only effect certain root folders, /system for example?
Last edited by andy9l; December 29th, 2012 at 10:55 AM.