View Single Post
Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
mikedt
你好

Device(s): Oppo Find 7a, Samsung Galaxy Win Duos(spare), Lenovo P700i(retired), KIRF Galaxy Note(deceased)
Carrier: China Mobile

Thanked 2,862 Times in 2,068 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
i never did like Ubuntu as a desktop OS, so the idea of it on a mobile platform is a no-go for me personally. Ubuntu is Linux but it tries to make too many rules--1, you cannot be permenant root,
You can enable root login if you want, it's quite easy. I might be missing something here, but why would I want be permanent root? Any application can be made to run with root privileges from a normal user account anyway. "sudo".

KDE running as root....a subtle hint and reminder...be very careful or BOOM!!!

I believe this was Mandrake or Mandriva.

Quote:
2, it has some weird security that doesn't let certain things happen,
Don't know what those might be. Can you provide some details about this please.

Quote:
and 3, like Windows, it has a lifecycle that stops getting new apps and updates when a version is deemed too old (this can be months, like in Maverick Meerkat there is no more support, apps don't update, and the repos are crippled)
"repos are crippled?"

Every 6 months there's a new release, You want long term support and updates, use the LTS(Long Term Support) releases. 12.04 LTS "Precise" is supported until mid-2017. Non-LTS releases are supported for about two years. You can always upgrade a running install anyway, without having to delete and completely re-install the whole OS.
There are nine million bicycles in Beijing.
There are nine million Androids in Shenzhen.
Last edited by mikedt; January 2nd, 2013 at 09:48 PM.