View Single Post
Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
MoodyBlues
- Crazy peacock person -

Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanked 1,450 Times in 884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
i never did like Ubuntu as a desktop OS, so the idea of it on a mobile platform is a no-go for me personally.
Kubuntu is my preferred Linux distro. It's absolutely beautiful--and it works the way *I* want it to.

Quote:
Ubuntu is Linux but it tries to make too many rules--1, you cannot be permenant root,
At the risk of sounding like a broken record [I've touched on this subject in multiple other threads already], YOU'RE WRONG.

I am a 3-decade *nix user. I know *nix. And I know--because I do it EVERY SINGLE TIME I install *buntu (or any Linux distro)--that it's a SIMPLE matter to set up a root login. Period. End of discussion. Just because someone doesn't know it can be done, doesn't mean it can't be done.

Quote:
2, it has some weird security that doesn't let certain things happen
I don't know what you're referring to, but I'm guessing that, as above, you're unaware of how to do whatever it is. That doesn't mean it can't be done.

Quote:
3, like Windows, it has a lifecycle that stops getting new apps and updates when a version is deemed too old (this can be months, like in Maverick Meerkat there is no more support, apps don't update, and the repos are crippled)
Well, my mom's computer is still running Kubuntu 9.04 because I'm too lazy to upgrade it. Oh, it still notifies when there are updates that I should apply, but I rarely do.

But I digress. UNLIKE windows, you're not PAYING for new versions of *buntu, so who cares that its life cycle eventually comes to an end? Unless you're running some really ancient hardware, newer versions probably won't force you to buy new machines--you know, like windows does. If you're really set on sticking with ancient hardware, and then your *buntu version dies, no problem! Find a distro that's less resource intensive. I've recently discussed having settled on Bodhi Linux for a 6-year-old laptop that was CRAWLING after I upgraded its Kubuntu version one too many times. Now it's flying like it did when it was brand new!