View Single Post
Old January 4th, 2013, 11:05 PM   #37 (permalink)
MoodyBlues
- Crazy peacock person -

Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanked 1,364 Times in 822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
Crossover is considered a Linux distro,
Um, no, it's not. I'm not sure where you got that idea, but according to the CodeWeavers web site:
Quote:
Run Windows Applications on Linux, Easily and Affordably

CrossOver allows you to install many popular Windows applications and PC games on your Linux computer.
CrossOver is nothing more than a software application that you install *ON* an existing Linux computer.

Quote:
yet it is pay only. I ain't paying for Linux just for compatibility
Well, again, CrossOver is NOT Linux, so that point is moot.

Quote:
I'd use windows which is paid for first.
Fine. If you're happy with windows, by all means use it!

Quote:
It has nothing to do with porting. Linux is supposed to be free. Commercial distros are free but can be paid for, I understand that. But making one mandatory pay ware is just wrong. Linux isn't closed source that way.
Since you're laboring under the misconception that CrossOver is a Linux distro, and that paying for it is a cardinal sin...well, never mind. It's not a distro so let's not worry about that.

I have to say I'm always a bit perplexed by people who are outraged at the concept of paying for Linux [application] software, yet have paid through the ass for micro$oft products year after year. And what did they get in return? Crashes, viruses, bloatware, adware, malware, spyware, BSODs, constant rebooting, constant upgrading of hardware and software, paying constantly for anti-virus software...and ZERO right to modify the OS! What's that about?
The Following User Says Thank You to MoodyBlues For This Useful Post:
mikedt (January 4th, 2013)