View Single Post
Old January 5th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #42 (permalink)
mikedt
你好

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Win Duos, Lenovo P700i
Carrier: China Mobile, China Unicom.

Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,782 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
Well you're partly incorrect. There are things in Android (Linux) that I still don't have any way to modify. For example, I have zero control over what apps start up on their own, which stay open when I back out of them, and which close. As the owner of my device I should be the one deciding which apps run and which don't. But like with Windows, I do not.
Linux is only the kernel of Android.

Are you concerned by the fact you have zero control and can't modify whatever software might be running on your TV, DVD player, WiFi router, cable box, digital camera, washing machine, car, microwave oven, rice cooker, toaster oven, etc. Even though these are all your items, that you paid money for, and many of them do use Linux and FOSS based software.

BTW this is Sony's Linux and FOSS souce code distribution site...
http://www.sony.net/Products/Linux/common/search.html
...as per their obligations under the GPL, LGPL, etc. But doesn't necessarily mean you can go modding and hacking the Linux software in their camcorders or TVs though.

Quote:
Secondly, I cannot install a tiny 300KB App if 10 MB remain on internal. It will always claim insufficient storage, despite the FACT that 10MB > 300 KB. As the owner, why can't I use all my space?

Thirdly, why can't I disable the annoying crash and wait dialogs? Even as Root?

MikeDt, I cannot get Star Trek Online, the Endless Forest, and Flight Simulator X to run in Wine. Wine fails for games, works well for apps not needing direct hardware access. I can run IE or uTorrent, but not FSX.
I play games on Windows. However I do use Wine for MS Office, because I've found a few things that don't work properly with Libre Office. I don't think there's any need whatsover to run something like uTorrent on Wine though, other than the fact it can be done. I use Transmission for my bittorrent needs.

Quote:
Seriously, I wish Linux could replace Windows. But with so much of what I use listed as 'never going to work' in Wine's compatibility list, what point is there unless all I ever do is browse the web and check email?
MS Office Professional is on the compatibilty list though.

Quote:
MoodyBlues, some folks leave MS and convert to Linux because they're sick of paying for MS products. So I can perfectly understand why they get miffed when Linux stuff costs money when they're lead to believe it to be 'Free Software'
Perhaps they should read and be educated...
Gratis versus libre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gratis versus libre is the distinction between two meanings of the English adjective "free"; namely, "for zero price" (gratis) and "with little or no restriction" (libre).

Why I made the ealier reference to free speech vs free beer.
There are nine million bicycles in Beijing.
There are nine million Androids in Shenzhen.
Last edited by mikedt; January 5th, 2013 at 12:30 AM.