Thread: Support Can I go back to 4.1?
View Single Post
Old January 8th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #23 (permalink)
kristinalaska

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Rooting (again) after 4.2 update

I am a newbie at this, so please forgive my dumb questions. I did successfully root my new Nexus 7 Wi-Fi 3G tablet, with the 4.1.2 system on it. I used Chainfire's CF-Auto-Root procedures, since I couldn't seem to get the Wug Nevus Root toolkit v1.6.2 to work for me, no matter how many times I tried. I was happy when it finally worked perfectly with the CF-Auto-Root.

But then I agreed to the update prompts to 4.2, and as others have mentioned, my tablet is now unrooted again. I nervously was ready to follow the same directions again, and suddenly my tablet went black and stayed that way. All I had done was unplug from charging, power off, both went well, and then tried to press the power and volume keys together as I did before, and nothing! I was afraid I had a brick on my hands! But I read somewhere about holding the power key down for 30 seconds, and voila! The tablet powered up again.

Unfortunately, even with USB debugging turned on, the power-volume key action does still not work. Can someone offer me suggestions? I am kicking myself again and again for allowing the OTA update.

PLEASE HELP! At least I have my tablet again, but apparently unrooted so I can't use the OTG cable for external drives! Now I'm more nervous than ever!

Thanks in advance for any advice, or even calming kind words!
Kristin