View Single Post
Old January 9th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #40 (permalink)
UncleMike

Device(s): Moto X - GSM DE
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJedi View Post
Can someone on ST who did "bring your own phone" check into something? I see a post on another thread, that they believed they could bring a T-Mobile phone to ST by just using a T-Mobile SIM. I don't think that is true, but as I'm a CDMA user, I can't answer with authority.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbnesen View Post
No I don't believe it is unlocked. What exactly does unlocked mean and how can you unlock a phone? If you bring your own phone, do they all have to be unlocked?
From Straight Talk's BYOP (Bring Your Own Phone) web site, step 1 is:
Quote:
BRING AN AT&T OR T-MOBILE COMPATIBLE GSM PHONE, OR AN UNLOCKED GSM PHONE
A locked phone will only work with a compatible SIM. An unlocked phone will work with any SIM (as long as the phone supports the frequencies use by the carrier). If you have a phone that is locked to AT&T you should order an AT&T compatible SIM from Straight Talk, and it will work fine. If you have a phone that is locked to T-Mobile you should order a T-Mobile compatible SIM from Straight Talk, and it will work fine. If you have an unlocked phone, you can order either SIM, and it will work fine.

It is possible to get a locked phone unlocked, but I've never had to do this, so I'm not sure how you would proceed if you wanted to do that.
The Following User Says Thank You to UncleMike For This Useful Post:
DarkJedi (January 10th, 2013)