Thread: 62(1+2) = ?
View Single Post
Old January 10th, 2013, 06:30 PM   #288 (permalink)
MoodyBlues
- Crazy peacock person -

Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanked 1,540 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davoid View Post
I voted for 1.

Although I follow and appreciate all the 9 explanations, I think the above posts nicely explain why we are ALL RIGHT.
Sorry, but math doesn't work that way.

Quote:
For me in particular I would be more inclined to accept 9 if the problem had been set out as 62x(2+1) instead of 62(2+1)
How it LOOKS has no bearing on how it's supposed to be solved according to mathematical rules. Those rules have been stated in previous posts, including mine, so I won't bother repeating them.

Quote:
But because the 2 is adjacent to the parenthesis it looks like they are connected in a more intimate and therefore immediate way than are the 6 and 2.

As another post pointed out, 6(2+1)2 would be more obviously 9 than would 62(2+1), because 2(2+1) appears to be (2*2) + (2*1)
Again, none of that matters. How it looks doesn't determine how it's solved. That's based on rules of math.

Quote:
Without the additional parenthesis to clear up the ambiguity it is as clear as saying "I helped my uncle jack off his horse" without adding the necessary capitals
That's a funny analogy...but not an accurate one. Unlike written English, where things like capitalization matter in how a sentence is interpreted, math doesn't work that way.