View Single Post
Old January 12th, 2013, 02:56 AM   #44 (permalink)
Speed Daemon
Disabled

Device(s):
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post
Yes, all guns should be registered, the same as cars, with a registration that goes with the gun when sold. That would not take anybody's right to own a gun away, or infringe on the second amendment in any way.
While this makes sense from a purely civil point of view, the problem is that the Second Amendment doesn't appear to be addressing peacetime issues.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

If we look at the Second Amendment in what I believe is its proper context, registration of arms has grave military consequences because it gives an enemy too much information about the strength of our forces. I don't know the best way to reconcile our peacetime ownership of firearms with the letter and intent of the Second Amendment. And until I do, I would not be hasty in enacting laws that might do great harm in the long run, as well as being of dubious usefulness as a cure to what ails us today.

Rather than focus on firearms singularly, maybe we should be contemplating our responsibilities as "our brothers' keepers."