Thread: 62(1+2) = ?
View Single Post
Old January 15th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #312 (permalink)
jhawkkw

Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook w/ HSPA+, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanked 6,948 Times in 3,748 Posts
Default Re: 62(1+2) = ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathman26 View Post
Discussing the "software issue" is another thread of its own. My point there was to prove that google and wolfram are not valid 'arguments' for proof of 9. The notation issue, meh, it was something we used in the 90s during my higher level education. Although, I did mention I have a textbook reference that specifically states:
1 "all over 2n" (using a horizontal fraction line) is simply 1/2n
I didn't make it up.
All that aside, care to comment on the rest of my post (simplifying, eliminating parentheses with distribution, the 'proof' where 66=1 originates, etc) ?

PS: I also believe there are more "9" answers since most people simply know "pemdas" and don't remember distributive property nor how to properly eliminate parentheses and the like. It is like asking grade 2 students what is the answer to 2+1*2. "Most" if not all will say 6, but this isn't a "majority wins" contest. Parentheses are a "grouping" symbol, and the question is read aloud as "What is 6 divided by 2 groups of 2+1"

Under modern day standard, the / and are used interchangeably as division. This is probably due to the increase in computer programming. Because of this the / sign has lost it's meaning of fraction when written in horizontal form and more assumed to be division. However since the original problem used the and not the / sign, it should assumed that it is not actually a fraction. Therefore there should be no issue simply applying the standard order of operations.

For a little off topic banter, I recently did a puzzle where the order of operations precedence changed, where AS comes before MD and the results are quite interesting. In one question, a linear equation actually produces TWO and only two valid solutions.

Current Devices: Nexus 5, HP 14 Chromebook (Data Enabled), Google Glass, (2013) LTE Nexus 7, Chromecast
Retired: Samsung Fascinate, Droid Charge, Galaxy Nexus, (2012) WiFi Nexus 7, Asus TF700, Nexus 4, Logitech Revue
Last edited by jhawkkw; January 16th, 2013 at 12:37 AM.