View Single Post
Old January 18th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #29 (permalink)
mikedt
你好

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Win Duos, Lenovo P700i
Carrier: China Mobile, China Unicom.

Thanked 2,499 Times in 1,792 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Maxey View Post
Clarify . . . are you saying that if I run Linux, there is absolutely no possible way I will suffer a virus?

I took a look and remember, I am not an expert.

Meet Linux Viruses | Unixmen
Most those seem to be experimental or proof of concepts from the late 90s. Or they involve the users doing something, like opening a malicious document, code injection. Hopefully no Linux users are running something like OpenOffice, or internet browser, or IM, or e-mail client with root privileges, e.g. "$ sudo openoffice" Which is something Windows does by default. all software runs with admin/root privileges. Although MS have tried to stop that.

As a teacher in China, I'm always opening potentially malicious and dangerous documents. I'm using Linux, but if LibreOffice or MS Office on Wine, suddenly asked for my root password, because of some document trying to do something to the system. I'd immediately know, something is wrong here.

This why logging in as root is always a bad idea. I've never had to do that. Login as root is sometimes hidden in certain distros, to protect novice users from themselves, and you don't need it anyway.
There are nine million bicycles in Beijing.
There are nine million Androids in Shenzhen.
Last edited by mikedt; January 18th, 2013 at 08:37 PM.