View Single Post
Old January 18th, 2013, 09:50 PM   #33 (permalink)
mikedt
你好

Device(s): Oppo Find 7a, Samsung Galaxy Win Duos(spare), Lenovo P700i(retired), KIRF Galaxy Note(deceased)
Carrier: China Mobile

Thanked 2,861 Times in 2,068 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
if i double click on a JPG in Ubuntu, it opens up whatever picture viewer is default, just like windows. i don't believe executable exists in Linux--everything is a file!
Oh it definitely does. Appications are certainly executable on Linux, e.g. Chrome. Just that they don't usually have any file suffix. .bin might be used sometimes, to indicate a binary/executable file.

Here's the file permissions for a JPG, it's actually my AF avatar. This is on Mint, which is Ubuntu based.

Everyone can open it and look at it, but they can't change or modify it, or change the file permissions. The only users who can do that are "michael" (me) and root. Note that "make the file executable" is unchecked. The OS would never try to run it, even if there was code hidden inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
Now our college used and we were required to have our own version (trial) of WinNT 4 and Win2K and i do know the Guest account cannot even set the system time! much less change sensitive info. a 'user' in Linux (i do not recall there being sub-groups in *nix such as guest, power user, and so on just user and root) has more power. a 'user' can use his own user password (Ubuntu does not set a separate root password in its installer ) to sudo anything. there is no security when a person can simply use a generic user password to gain even temporary root priviledge, which can be dangerous in itself. but i don't see too many Linux users complaining about problems the way Windows does.
You are the "administrator" for your own system, in the absence of a corporate sysadmin. And so the user password is the sudo and root password for your own system. You can set a seperate, password and admin/root account if you want for Ubuntu. There's nothing stopping you from doing that. Which is what enterprise users would do.
There are nine million bicycles in Beijing.
There are nine million Androids in Shenzhen.
Last edited by mikedt; January 18th, 2013 at 09:56 PM.