View Single Post
Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:37 AM   #24896 (permalink)
jhawkkw

Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook w/ HSPA+, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanked 7,009 Times in 3,774 Posts
Default Re: Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Controller View Post
What! How can they even tell without you going into the store and being like here check out my unlocked device
My guess is that there will be a tool, similar to the htc dev or asus unlocker apk, that has the encryption passcode built into it, and after you consent, sends information about your device back to a server. Could be the serial number, the esn, maybe both. Since Verizon already knows your esn, all they have to do is match up your active esn with the one in their database and presto, they add the charge.

The thing that gets me is that their going to sell it for 300 on contract, but yet it's going to be available on google play at roughly nexus pricing, and if you buy it from google play, you can unlock it without the charge? Seems contradictory to me.

Current Devices: Nexus 5, HP 14 Chromebook (Data Enabled), Google Glass, (2013) LTE Nexus 7, Chromecast
Retired: Samsung Fascinate, Droid Charge, Galaxy Nexus, (2012) WiFi Nexus 7, Asus TF700, Nexus 4, Logitech Revue