View Single Post
Old January 22nd, 2013, 04:35 PM   #25 (permalink)
huh

Device(s):
Carrier: carry this

Thanked 1,044 Times in 843 Posts
yes

That is just ridiculous! Throwing away perfectly good donuts should be a crime punishable by death!ll
Actually, we have a pretty large local charity where I live. It's called Forgotten Harvest and they DO go to super markets restaurants retirement villages hospitals etc...and pick up perishable items and distribute it through emergency food relief programs. There are thousands of volunteers and partners who participate in this great program. I personally know many people who have volunteered time resources and money to this great cause. Restaurant owners who not only donate unused food but do charity events where they will donate a percentage of proceeds. And Retirement home executive chef's who will personally drive unused surplus food and drop it off at the Charity. I myself have helped drive some of this food over to the donation center. also by hosting and letting my students volunteer to come in on a saturday in the elementary school cafeteria and help pitch in by repackaging items for disbursement. So it can be done ..and is...being done! I live in the suburbs of a large city so it's not a small scale endeavor..
Also there is a movement now to plant an apple tree in your yard to harvest the apples for the same need..Kind of like good ole Johnny Appleseed!