View Single Post
Old January 24th, 2013, 03:34 PM   #105 (permalink)
Speed Daemon
Disabled
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Nonymous View Post
Same reason hot dogs are sold in packs of 8 and hot dog buns are sold in packs of 12. Damn corporations exploiting people!!!
Yes, good point. Of course nobody has been arrested for possession of buns without hot dogs to fill them. And IMO nobody should. Likewise for flashlights and batteries, or pistols that were designed to hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

Although law enforcement professionals and soldiers may carry extra ammunition magazines, and have supply lines to get them even more ammo as needed, the average pistol-for-home-security owner isn't likely to go downstairs to investigate a suspicious noise wearing a bulletproof vest and carrying extra magazines.

So if this person gets ambushed at the bottom of the stairs by multiple gunmen, those extra rounds can make the difference between life and death for the gun owner protecting his or her home. Therefore the claim that "nobody needs more than x bullets" is fallacious for one of the rights that the anti-gun lobby claims that they're not affecting. The problem is that they are affecting honest citizens, and for the worse.

I'm not a hunter, but my understanding is that hunting laws that have existed for a very long time restricts the number of rounds in a hunters rifle for the express purpose of keeping it "sporting". Given that, why do we need another set of pointlessly redundant laws that do the same thing.

I'm as much for reducing the murder rate as anyone, even to the point that I no longer own any personal firearms. But the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result. The current crop of new gun restrictions have been tried before, and they failed. Repeating the same fear and ignorance-based laws aren't a bona fide solution.