View Single Post
Old January 31st, 2013, 11:25 PM   #28 (permalink)
MoodyBlues
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanked 1,364 Times in 822 Posts

Quick update: She's home! The cats were so happy to see her, and vice versa. The first thing she said was that she wanted to eat. I had watched her eat dinner at the hospital, so I knew she couldn't really be very hungry, but I heated up some macaroni and cheese...and then mushed it all up with a fork. She's on a soft/pureed food only diet for the time being, until her throat heals. But she ate the mac & cheese and loved every bite. Then she wanted coffee, and I'd told her while we were still at the hospital that she could have all the coffee she wanted once we got home, so I gave her a cup of coffee and she was pleased as punch.

She looked super dejected, though, when I told her that I can't let her have free access to her junk food supply any more. First, I'm not about to puree Cheetos or cookies, but the bigger issue is that I can no longer feel safe letting her eat with no one present. I mean, she'd be dead now if I hadn't been with her when she choked the other day. So we're going to have to figure this all out, as munching on junk food has become her biggest form of entertainment.

My mom, even after months of munching on junk food all day (and that's in addition to three actual meals per day!), and being 100% sedentary, weighs a whopping 110 pounds. If I even LOOKED at all the food she eats, I'd weigh 400 pounds. It's not fair!

In the morning I have to pick up antibiotics for her and stop and get a lot of soft foods, like applesauce, pureed soups, oatmeal, etc.

I'm going to contact the hospice coordinator I spoke to in the hospital, as I think it's time now to accept that we need additional care. It was a decision/transition I had put off for many months, but I'm ready now.

I really haven't gone into this personal stuff on these boards, but the truth is that I've spent the last 1-1/2 years doing everything I could to keep her at home, instead of shipping her off to a nursing home. She's lived in this house for 40 years, and I just can't fathom the idea of having her in a cold, impersonal, sterile, strange environment for whatever's left of her life. So until I'm physically unable to keep this up any longer, she'll be here where I strongly feel she belongs.

Finally, thanks so much for the warm thoughts and prayers. Even though I've never met any of you in the 'real' world, it's comforting to hear kind and supportive words. You're a great bunch of folks.

ETA: Here's a souvenir!

ETA: And another...from that very chaotic night.

Last edited by MoodyBlues; February 1st, 2013 at 02:23 PM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MoodyBlues For This Useful Post:
dan330 (February 1st, 2013), davoid (February 1st, 2013), DragonSlayer95 (February 1st, 2013), EarlyMon (January 31st, 2013), Gmash (February 1st, 2013), olbriar (February 2nd, 2013), pastafarian (February 2nd, 2013), saptech (February 1st, 2013), treb1797 (February 1st, 2013), Unforgiven (February 1st, 2013)