View Single Post
Old February 1st, 2013, 01:15 PM   #237 (permalink)
SUroot
ROM Developer

Device(s): SGS3 (Current) HTC Desire (Retired)
Carrier: 3 UK

Thanked 5,320 Times in 3,994 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
i have only been on Linux for a month at best. i was using Win8 prior to that on a few months-old laptop. it has not been that long SU.

Windows 8 has no start menu, true. but it has tiles too. this looks nothing like Windows 8's desktop app, and last i recalled, it couldn't be themed (a big problem with Win8 is every computer has the same desktop, no color customization, only desktop supports wallpaper changes)

there is nothing abou the screenshot that looks anything like Windows. not even the icons are right. it really does come off looking like a theme for KDE or Gnome--in fact i can quite easily recreate Windows Phone 7's metro interface on Android just as easily.

If you press the windows key (if you haven't installed classic start menu from sourceforge.net) it toggles between the Metro UI (touch interface) and the desktop posted above.

The Metro UI is not a desktop and I don't know if it can be themed or not. The Desktop can be themed, as per Microsoft's own words:

Themes - Microsoft Windows

Quote:
Windows themes work only in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows RT
Also, I believe I have actually found and posted the specific theme Mike is using.

The windows icons in the sys tray (the white ones) are the same as Windows 7. The rest are 3rd party.

From left to right (I think)

ChinaNet Wireless
Synaptics Mousepad driver (Common on Dell laptops)
RealTek HD audio
Windows Action centre
Nvidia system tray?
Power
Network
Sound
Keyboard Language
The Following User Says Thank You to SUroot For This Useful Post:
mikedt (February 1st, 2013)