View Single Post
Old February 1st, 2013, 10:43 PM   #245 (permalink)
mikedt
你好

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Win Duos, Lenovo P700i
Carrier: China Mobile, China Unicom.

Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,794 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
i had whatever came with my Toshiba. it just said 'Windows 8' on the tag. it displayed Metro normally unless i launched 'Desktop' and then it would have a Win7 style desktop. the wallpaper was customizable, i could auto-hide the dock and disable or enable desktop icons. but no themes. if more than say 3 or so system tray icons were showing, they'd auto hide behind a 'arrow' that if you clicked it would show all of them. i can assure you Mike's desktop looks more like a haphazard GTK theme than any Windows i have seen. and i have used Windows since version 3.0
What looks like a "haphazard GTK theme"? Just that I've got the task bar as a semi-transparent grey colour? As for the rest of it, that's just how I've set it up, all system tray icons showing, wallpaper choice etc. The Windows 8 desktop loses much of that shiny aero-glass stuff that Windows 7 had. It's much more about clean solid colours and less flash and shine.

I suppose I could make my KDE desktop look like Mac OS X, with a dock and everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
It also had that UEFI crap too. a lot of joy getting Linux to run on that! i lost Windows 8 in the process (the partition manager had already wiped the entire HDD) and i had planned a dual boot but it did not matter as i got my game working on Linux now--if Star Trek Online had not worked, it would have been a deal breaker and a big 'whoops!' as that is the primary use of that particular laptop
The recent Lenovo laptop I'm using has all that "UEFI crap too", and I installed Linux no problem and Windows 8. However it came with pirated Windows 7 Ultimate.....Welcome to China! That was the primary reason why I bought Genuine Windows 8.
There are nine million bicycles in Beijing.
There are nine million Androids in Shenzhen.
Last edited by mikedt; February 1st, 2013 at 10:49 PM.