View Single Post
Old February 4th, 2013, 04:37 AM   #38 (permalink)
Speed Daemon
Disabled

Device(s):
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyBlues View Post
Strange use of the word hospice!
As I found out the hard way, "hospice" only seems to have the grim connotations here in the US of A. In most of the world, it's a common term for forms of lodging that predate the commercial hotel.

Quote:
It's tough. When the nurse was here this afternoon she wanted to start the morphine and also give Mom Ativan, and I refused on both counts. I'm not going to exacerbate Mom's death with narcotics, which she doesn't NEED right now and would only be used to make it easier on everybody AROUND her. No. Not going to happen. I was incredulous when the nurse suggested both, and I questioned the reasoning for each of them. She said "her respirations are at about 25 right now" for the morphine--and I said, well, morphine will SUPPRESS her breathing, so, no. And for the Ativan she said "it'll make her less anxious," to which I said "SHE'S ASLEEP. How much less anxious can she be?!"
Good call on the meds. It looks like that nurse was more interested in making her own life easier than anything else. I hope that's the exception, not the norm!

Has your mom set up a living will and/or appointed someone as medical attorney?