View Single Post
Old February 5th, 2013, 05:41 AM   #43 (permalink)
Gmash

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Huawei Mercury (stock/rooted), Huawei Ascend (CM7 2.3.5 @710mhz)
Carrier: Cricket

Thanked 1,540 Times in 1,176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyBlues View Post
Thanks, Speed.

Strange use of the word hospice!

It's tough. When the nurse was here this afternoon she wanted to start the morphine and also give Mom Ativan, and I refused on both counts. I'm not going to exacerbate Mom's death with narcotics, which she doesn't NEED right now and would only be used to make it easier on everybody AROUND her. No. Not going to happen. I was incredulous when the nurse suggested both, and I questioned the reasoning for each of them. She said "her respirations are at about 25 right now" for the morphine--and I said, well, morphine will SUPPRESS her breathing, so, no. And for the Ativan she said "it'll make her less anxious," to which I said "SHE'S ASLEEP. How much less anxious can she be?!"
My Mom and Dad both had hospice care at the end (Mom had brain cancer, Dad had lung cancer) and they were great, I don't know how anybody can do that job. But I have heard the horror stories about the ones who just want to speed the death along. Honestly, your Mom doesn't seem like she is ready for hospice care yet, being that she doesn't seem to be suffering or on the brink of dying. Good for you for standing up to the nurses, your Mom is lucky to have you. You may want to consider putting off hospice for awhile.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gmash For This Useful Post:
davoid (February 5th, 2013)