View Single Post
Old February 5th, 2013, 01:24 PM   #47 (permalink)
MoodyBlues
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanked 1,564 Times in 969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post
My Mom and Dad both had hospice care at the end (Mom had brain cancer, Dad had lung cancer)
Sorry for your losses.

Quote:
and they were great, I don't know how anybody can do that job.
I know...it takes special people. Ironically, I've now been told by numerous hospice people that respite care is available for me--and *I* used to do respite care. In the '90s, while living in Dallas, I volunteered at an HIV/AIDS clinic; I was certified as an HIV/AIDS counselor, so I could, and did, give clients their test results; I also taught classes on HIV and AIDS; and I did respite care on weekends. (I used to be *SO* active, before damned illnesses made me a home body. ) So it's weird having people tell me about something, as if it's new to me, that I used to provide for OTHER people.

Quote:
But I have heard the horror stories about the ones who just want to speed the death along.
That's the distinct feeling I got the other night, and I'm so glad I refused both the morphine and Ativan.

Quote:
Honestly, your Mom doesn't seem like she is ready for hospice care yet, being that she doesn't seem to be suffering or on the brink of dying. Good for you for standing up to the nurses, your Mom is lucky to have you. You may want to consider putting off hospice for awhile.
Thanks, but no, she really is ready. In fact, one of her doctors brought it up some six months ago but I wasn't ready yet and didn't believe she was, either. Now...it's definitely time. Every single time I approach her room I think...oh dear...is this going to be THE time? You know, when I find her dead.

The Following User Says Thank You to MoodyBlues For This Useful Post:
Gmash (February 5th, 2013)