View Single Post
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #25 (permalink)
mikedt
你好

Device(s): Oppo Find 7a, Samsung Galaxy Win Duos(spare), Lenovo P700i(retired), KIRF Galaxy Note(deceased)
Carrier: China Mobile

Thanked 2,807 Times in 2,029 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to mikedt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rui-no-onna View Post
If you're on an unlimited data plan, I can understand charging for tethering since it's more likely to be abused. Folks are more likely to use up more bandwidth streaming 720p/1080p videos to a tethered laptop or tablet than 360p/480p to a 3~4" display. For those on a plan with a monthly bandwidth limit, there shouldn't be a separate tethering charge.
I can understand how video streaming to a laptop with HD, rather than SD to a cell-phone. Those on real truly unlimited plans(no fair usage, or throttling, or other caps), could possibly used more data with a laptop. If your bandwidth is throttled because you've gone over your monthly fair usage quota, you're not going to be streaming much of anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rui-no-onna View Post
How is 3GB of data consumed directly by the smartphone differ from 3GB of data consumed by a tethered device?
I don't understand that at all, especially on limited and metered plans. You're paying for 3GB of data. Why should a carrier charge you extra, if you want to use that 3GB of data with a tethered laptop?

The other thing is, how can a carrier detect you're tethering anyway? Deep packet inspection possibly? What's the difference between running a bandwidth hog like bittorrent on a smart-phone than on a laptop. And you can always spoof a browser's user agent string(UAS) to be anything you like. There's been a couple of posts here, where a phone user has been falsely accused of tethering, just because they were using a different browser over the phone's default one, Three UK.

Fortunately I don't have to deal with tethering fees. I buy data either by the gigabyte or sometimes by the number of on-line hours(China Telecom does this for some pre-paid plans). How I use it is down to me, and has nothing to do with the carrier, whether I'm using my laptop or my Android phone.
There are nine million bicycles in Beijing.
There are nine million Androids in Shenzhen.
Last edited by mikedt; February 8th, 2013 at 10:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikedt For This Useful Post:
trekleech (February 8th, 2013)