View Single Post
Old February 10th, 2013, 10:21 PM   #275 (permalink)
Dngrsone

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S II 'Epic 4G Touch' SPH-D710, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyBlues View Post
First of all, that's WOman.
Whatever, HUman. You all look and sound the same to me.

Quote:
Second of all, when I started playing Roller Coaster Tycoon, circa 1999 or 2000, Linux wasn't NEARLY as popular or well known as it is now. So complaining back THEN wouldn't make sense.
So, you grandfathered your one favorite app in...

Quote:
Sorry, but that's a piss-poor analogy.
Wow... I think this is the very first time that anyone has ever told me that.

Quote:
For me, it's not ONLY that Linux is vastly superior to m$ products in every conceivable way, such as security, stability, customization, power, etc., but there's also the principle involved of not supporting a company whose shady, often illegal, business practices got them where they are.
As opposed to whom? Do you know of a computer hardware company that hasn't done the same? What are you running your precious Linux on?

Quote:
Or should I say WERE. I can only imagine the anguish in Redmond as Linux has overtaken the world.
Yeah... no. Unless Linux is suddenly the overwhelming OS of choice in the corporate world, then I seriously doubt Redmond is sweating much at all.

Quote:
You do use Android, right? So a better analogy would be, "I'd love a slice of apple pie with vanilla ice cream on top, rather than my usual chocolate cake. However, the apple pie is made in a third-world sweatshop where people work 15 hour days for pennies, and on principle I can't support that. So I'll stick with the chocolate cake made in the US for living wages."
Again, what hardware are you using?

Last I heard, Microsoft does most of their work here in the good old US of A. On top of that, do any coders really work for pennies? I always thought they worked for donuts and caffeine.

Now Linux, on the other hand... born in Finland. Then again, that is only the kernel. Almost everything else in your distribution is GNU... at least most of that is American.

Quote:
Remember when web sites REQUIRED Internet ExploDer in order to access them? Yeah, that's a foggy memory for me, too, now that it's ancient history--because *I* and other like-minded people COMPLAINED, and told those companies we wouldn't do business with them until they were accessible by Linux users. There aren't any windows-based applications I need/want/care about, so I haven't complained about software, per se, in a long time. Only recently, and as a result of reading a question here about Netflix, did I pull out my old "as long as you're not supporting Linux I won't be a customer" routine.
But... I thought you don't need/want/care about Netflix?

Now, try this one for size-- Apple was born here in the US. In a garage, of all places. It was a giant-killer-- the Apple IIe took on the behemoth IBM. They didn't win. Nor did they lose... they just were. A niche product that invested heavily in the nation's youth for decades, until finally they came out with a hit. Then another. And a third.

Now Apple is the giant. Being challenged by whom? Linux? Only a Linux variant being used (exploited) by another giant. Where's Microsoft? In nearly every corporate and government office. Do they care about the average consumer? Only in that they want to make sure those office and government workers have the software they need to do their work at home.

Yes... Apple and Microsoft-- two sides of the same coin, living an incestuous relationship where they feed off each other, now doing the same with Linux. You do know that Microsoft was the 17th largest contributor to Linux in 2011, right?