View Single Post
Old February 14th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #82 (permalink)
jhawkkw

Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanked 5,830 Times in 3,292 Posts
jhawkkw

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBRocked View Post
I see your point but I don't know that even Google cares about the bootloader being unlockable. The GNex is unlockable for the developers...not for actual end users. It is a benefit that many of us enjoy but it's not the purpose behind it.

The only thing I don't understand is why Verizon cares if the bootloader can be unlocked or not. I don't see how it hurts Verizon. My money is on this whole $15 (one time fee or monthly fee) being a crazy rumor and nothing more.
Verizon clings to two notions for their defense against unlockable bootloaders.

First is that it allows users to run custom software that may break devices (such as kernels overclocked so high that the fry the phone, the usb fast charge feature found in many roms that has the potential to melt the charging port, etc). So this results in them having to take on added cost to replace these devices.

Second is that they like to keep everyone on roughly the same build so that customer service can more easily troubleshoot and/or assist users.

My rebuttal to all of this is that for the first notion, that user is not entitled to a new device because they took on the inherited risk of doing so. For the second notion, is that most users who run custom roms tend to know more about their device than the CS reps, rendering this point moot.

Current Devices: Nexus 5, HP 14 Chromebook (Data Enabled), Google Glass, (2013) LTE Nexus 7, Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Retired: Samsung Fascinate, Droid Charge, Galaxy Nexus, (2012) WiFi Nexus 7, Asus TF700, Nexus 4