View Single Post
Old February 14th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #23 (permalink)
Vinsanity93
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): HTC Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

I was thinking the LSD just amplified my emotions and maybe I just noticed the anxiety more, it's not like I've never been anxious but the attacks I had definitely felt random and if they weren't, they didn't seem to coincide with a particular situation. I do overthink a lot though, even before the trip so I'm working on reducing that along with my stress, anxiety, etc. I tried some PMR exercises today and I did feel more relaxed than I did before.

I really only us the Ativan when I get a really bad attack, mainly because it makes me sleepy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Daemon View Post
Interesting! I too am suffering from what has been diagnosed as "panic attacks". At first it wasn't even something that I noticed. My doctor noticed that my blood pressure was slightly high, and that my face was flushed, as if I had a sunburn. She prescribed Zoloft, an antidepressant that's also used to treat anxiety disorders. The Zoloft didn't do anything, and I eventually quit using it with no problem.

I've always been a very calm person, and not at all bothered by stressful situations. MOF I've done my best work when it's "showtime" and I've had to perform flawlessly in often fluid conditions. But I was doing boring desk duty when by symptoms appeared. No worries, no stress. I was also diagnosed with a physical illness that "may be stress-related". I can still remember my boss, who wasn't known for being a sensitive guy, taking me aside and very sincerely asking me if he was putting me under too much stress. He wasn't! It was like my body had a mind of its own.

Eventually it got to the point that I felt the need for some kind of chemical relief. Although it felt completely physiological to me, I had to go to a psychiatrist to get the meds, and that's when I was diagnosed.

For the last 10 years I've been taking 1mg. of Xanax 4 times a day, and the "panic attacks" (it feels more like my adrenal glands are stuck open; I feel no emotional panic) have been under control. When I try to taper off, I'll be OK until, without warning, that rush of adrenaline comes back with no warning, no trigger that I have ever noticed. So I take my meds as directed and live my life normally.

Vinsanity93, I noticed that you also didn't cite any major event that may have caused your attacks. No emotional trauma etc. I'm curious, do you feel like your affliction is a mood-altering one? I mean, do you always have scary or otherwise unpleasant emotional symptoms? Sometimes? Not at all?

I get this impression that I'm supposed to feel the panic, but the fact is that I don't. It's unpleasant, and I have justified concerns about losing control at a bad time, like when I'm driving and other situations when I could get hurt as a result of being distracted by my symptoms. I don't know if that's good or bad.

Since I'm not a MD, I don't have any advice for you. I hope it's some comfort to know that whatever it is, you're in good company. I hope you find a solution that doesn't get in the way with you having a full and happy life!