View Single Post
Old February 22nd, 2013, 07:27 PM   #28 (permalink)
Speed Daemon
Disabled

Device(s):
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbf98 View Post
yea, it was cheap enough and we needed something for our bass player so he could be heard haha

its 200 watts and I played a bass through it and it works perfect for just that haha
As long as it works. Is it from the same line as the other speaker?

Quote:
That sub is huge lol. The bigger the driver the "looser" the bass sounds and to me looser is better. The smaller drivers deliver a tight punch which some like better, but I do agree with you 18'' is the way to go and the sub will be upgraded down the line
The thing that irks these days is that everything is a subwoofer. Back in my day, subwoofers were really specialized things. A good PA system would have for example 1" drivers, 3" drivers, 6" drivers, 12" or 15" drivers and then subwoofers. When we divided up a ten octave spectrum into five parts, we were able to optimize each sub-band just so for the best sound and other technical considerations. Back then a lot of bands got along just fine without having the PA system hitting the bottom octave.

30 years ago it was perfectly acceptable for a band like yours to have a PA system that covered a range from 60Hz to 16kHz; 8 octaves. Back then "full bass" was a luxury that few could afford, and hitting primary notes above 16kHz were rare, and PA systems that could actually resolve harmonics above 16kHz were difficult and costly. A really nice system could resolve a contra C, or go down to 30Hz. Most musicians didn't hit notes lower than that, so it wasn't a problem.

What made it a problem was that Moog made this Taurus bass pedal that could do sub-contra notes. So if you were a big name band, and had the money, people like be would design and build special bass cabinets that could hit that triple pedal C note with authority. And the thing that enabled us to do it was the Gauss 18" driver.

You're right about driver size and how "punchy" it sounds. The thing is that when you have a multi-way speaker array and you hit a transient, the smaller drivers are there to give you that initial punch, the leading edge of the waveform. But to get sustain on the low notes, like an open E string, you needed something that could move enough air to fill the house. That's why we'd usually DI the bass. A good bass cab is OK for filling up a studio room or a garage. But it needed the PA to move enough air to sustain the low notes in larger venues.

Enough pedantic stuff. Go enjoy your new toys!