View Single Post
Old February 25th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #112 (permalink)
bigdrew

Device(s): Nexus 4, Transformer Pad
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chief View Post
Considering that Android had a massive presence at MWC last year and there is NO Android presence this year, I have to agree and conclude that Google is trying to phase open-source Android out. As Android becomes more & more sophisticated, it becomes increasingly important to have elements of it patented and afforded certain protections from other companies nicking them and patenting them (ahem, ahem).

I can imagine that Lemondrop or Marshmallow (or whatever they're gonna be called after Key Lime Pie) will be the last true AOSP Android version before being completely assimilated into Chrome OS or something else.

Just my opinion, mind you, and take it with a grain of salt: but a business model that creates awesome stuff for your competitor to use against you is not a good business model.

Manufacturers seem to be leaning towards their own private launch events instead. They get more press that way. I don't see the connection of that to Android's software license. I don't even know if Google could do such a thing if they wanted to because of contractual obligations with the Open Handset Alliance.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigdrew For This Useful Post:
Gmash (February 26th, 2013)