View Single Post
Old September 23rd, 2009, 01:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
clockwork

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebeecham View Post
hi ripkord...thanks for the suggestion. However, that just allows me to use my handset as a remote, for viewing on my TV. I want to be able to access my media files across the network, for use on my handset.

For example, if I have a movie file on my mac, I want to be able to access it from my handset and view it on the handset...effectively streaming it from the mac to my Hero.
you have two options, one is using SambaExplorer, which i found on the market (free) but have been unable to connect to my mac, the other option i have had more success with, which is FTP. i set up my mac to be an FTP server which is really easy as its in the settings for "share" in system preferences, and then download andFTP which works really well for me, but there are numerous other clients on the market. additionally i did set up my computer under a DYNDNS account at DynDNS.com: Free DNS Hosting, E-mail Delivery, and VPS Hosting for free, made my mac receive all forwarded ports from the router and then i was able to access all my files while i was away for the weekend and dint feel like taking my computer with me... additionally u can do the same with transdroid which connects to many Bit torrent clients including my favorite transmission and did the same thing with DYNDNS and was able to add/remove and monitor my torrents on transmission while away... thru cellular network

if you would like a step by step on how to do what i have just said, dont hesitate to ask...
Blackberry Bold - Lost
HTC Prophet - Broken