View Single Post
Old March 23rd, 2013, 03:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Scootmien
AF Contributor

Device(s): iPhone 5s - Stock ::::: HTC One - Stock ::::: Samsung S2 - Rooted
Carrier: Vodafone / Three

Here we go, my first post of actual (perceived) worth. My initial quick review of my brand new HTC One. Please remember where I make a statement below like 'x is better than y' it is purely my subjective opinion and i understand and realise others will not echo my thoughts.

I got home about five hours ago and have pretty much not left it alone at all since then. It was on 74% power and is now on 40% and plugged in whilst I upload some music to the phone.

I can't give any comments on battery life until i've used it for a few days. It should get a good workout tomorrow though as I am off out for most of the day shooting.

Build quality
It's spot on. No gaps, no dead pixels, no dents, dings or scratches. Perfect. It feels great in the hand, has a pleasing weight to it; not too light, not too heavy. It looks and feels a million dollars.

Screen
Dear god! The best screen I have ever seen on a smartphone! No ghosting, no tears and videos are crisp, clear and extremely high quality. I am very very impressed with the screen. The finger glide action is crystal smooth and the viewing angles are actually very good indeed. At the moment, colours seem vivid. I gather from other reviews that the screen colours look slightly washed out against other phones. If that is the case, you will not notice unless you are looking for it. For me, they are perfectly fine. Darks are dark and lights are light and all the colours in between seem rich and vivid; so I can't complain.

Beats Audio
Loud or what? Incredibly clear and distortion-free no matter whether you are playing Mussorgsky or Megadeth (I tried). Forget about booting up that phone in a quiet room like a bedroom at night or a library though! Try as I might, I couldn't get it to distort at all, no matter what I played through it.

Sense 5
Very good indeed. Easily better than my experiences with stock Touchwiz on my Samsung S3 and S2. Very smooth scrolling and the icons look sharp and have obviously had a rework for the new high-def screen. I thought I would dislike the vertically scrolling App drawer but it feels fine to use. I wish I could put more icons on my homescreen though but that will require a launcher. Maybe i'll do that in the not too distant future. Blinkfeed was interesting for a while but I found it very cluttered so I have removed all feeds from it. I will try it out again in a few days once the initial small-child-at-Christmas feeling has subsided a bit. As I mentioned in another post somewhere, Blinkfeed would be miles better if we could add in our own feeds or mail accounts. I would have no issues in having that as my home screen then. Until that time, it has been relegated to another screen and emptied of feeds.

Afterthoughts:

HTC Sync Manager
Very crappy piece of software that tries to be smart and immediately started trying to add in over twelve terabytes of movies and music (yes you read right). I imagine I would probably have had to come back sometime late next week once it had finished. I dislike the way it tries to intelligently scan for all your media. I have a lot of media across my RAID and NAS and so I have had to manually delete everything from HTC Sync Manager as there was no easy way that I could find to do it en masse.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Scootmien For This Useful Post:
Abird! (March 26th, 2013), BillyODU (March 28th, 2013), danski (March 26th, 2013), EarlyMon (March 23rd, 2013), emf1138 (March 24th, 2013), Granite1 (April 19th, 2013), Hadron (March 23rd, 2013), Howlingdakota (March 25th, 2013), ItsAboutTime (March 31st, 2013), KOLIO (March 23rd, 2013), mpanju (April 6th, 2013), TheSuper (March 23rd, 2013), toad6386 (March 25th, 2013)