View Single Post
Old March 26th, 2013, 12:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
XplosiV
Master X is Watching You

Device(s): Galaxy S3 16GB Blue (x2) 4.1.1 ****** Galaxy mini ****** Galaxy Tab 8.9, ****** Galaxy Portal 2
Carrier: T-Mobile UK!

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,531 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to XplosiV xplosiv.ss@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy13 View Post
Having free RAM is the whole point. RAM is memory and memory is supposed to be there to absorb everything that is running. The more that's left over leaves the phone not having to work as hard per say thus running smoother.

And I don't think I need to answer why having more CPU speed is good. The CPU is the heart of the phone. The bigger and better the heart, the faster it pumps.

But if you hold a N4 that has 2GB of Ram next to your S3 with 1GB, you will notice a difference even if the same amount is "being wasted".

If you get bored you should read up on why international phones have more RAM than US versions. They tend to make things more clear when explaining it. Also check out computer cores and why more cores is better and how they coexist with RAM.

I used to think they same way and wonder about hype around certain things and then I bought my first REAL smartphone and then it HIT ME! If I'm gonna spend between $300 and $800 on a freaking cell phone, I want that sucker to do EVERYTHING. So I can understand wanting the best and most and complaining about it if someone doesn't get it. Who would have though cell phones would make adults act like kids "But I want THAT ONE!!!!!" hahahaha

1) With Linux based systems, free RAM is wasted RAM. Pure and simple. (If you were referring to a windows based system id agree, but it's not the same with Linux)
2) International phones have LESS ram than US one's, (generalising) As the S3 shows - int quad 2.4/1GB V's US dual 1.5/2GB. Think you just got a little muddled there.

Otherwise, yeah, it's simply marketing. The new S4 4+4 core is a big.LITTLE setup, and at best not yet common in smartphones, if even used at all yet. So while the two variants of the S4 have drastically different CPU's in effect, the 4+4 should still perform well, and be much more (upto 70%) power efficient. (figgure from exynos 5 website) couple that with a 25% more power efficient display and 'probably' more efficient coding and your looking at better battery life, faster CPU+GPU and a bigger display in what is essentially a 'slightly' slimmer phone than the S3.

If thats not innovative, someone tell me what is!

The Following User Says Thank You to XplosiV For This Useful Post:
Rxpert83 (March 28th, 2013)