View Single Post
Old March 26th, 2013, 10:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Fuzzy13

Device(s): Nexus 5. (White 16GB)
Carrier: $60 AT&T pre paid pushing 50-60mbps

Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
I agree. That's after more than a year's worth of experience in monitoring (just as a user) my dismal amount (368 MB) of user-accessible RAM in my LG Revolution. My conclusion: Lag is inversely proportional to free/freeable RAM. At least it is/was on my phones.

It got to the point where I could predict the free RAM numbers +/-20 MB by observing lag. At about 45 MB free, the lag would often delay my answering the phone enough to miss calls.

If you see lag, go into Running Services and see how much free RAM you have. If you want to simulate what the OS would free on demand, use a utility like Superbox Pro's "Free Memory" feature. You'll see a small to moderate gain. If it's not enough, look at the running services and see if you can uninstall one that's a hog (I couldn't have an e-mail app on my phone because each takes about 50 MB). It's usually unproductive to kill apps, as the OS will fight your intent in the long run--it's better to do an orderly shut down/restart of the phone.

Remove as many widgets as you can (try shortcuts if they're an acceptable replacement).

Finally, each app needs some small amount of user RAM. As proof, uninstall 50 or so and you'll see a difference in average free RAM.

"Marketing" doesn't sound like it should be our first take of speculation. We all have experience with the traditional PC OS architectures that use RAM as the main memory where the CPU caches major amounts of data, like Windows or Mac or Linux (not speaking to possible future architectures that possibly allow any flash storage to be utilized as main memory, like Fusion-io). Is the increasing RAM supplied there just marketing? Is it just marketing that your new laptop has 4GB of RAM, rather than the 256 MB of RAM that came on your 800 MHz Pentium of 10 years ago? Have we not each experienced an increase in performance when we upgrade RAM on a PC?

Just my opinion. But with the advantage of lots of opportunity to observe and monitor lag, thanks to my stinky old RAM-limited phone and an irrepressible urge to install apps.
Agreed.
Last edited by Fuzzy13; March 26th, 2013 at 10:51 PM.