View Single Post
Old April 5th, 2013, 03:52 AM   #63 (permalink)
GeoffBot

Device(s): HTC One, HTC Sensation
Carrier: Vodafone

Default HTC One - a week in the hand/pocket

Howdy

I've skim-read the thread but apologies if this is a covering old ground. I've had my black One a week now (thanks Phones4u for undercutting Vodafone direct - you'd better not turn out to be as useless as the internets is suggesting though!) and I do like it. I used to use my Sensation, which I love; this is more of a comparison of what I'm used to and why they removed the some useful features! My Sensation has the most recent firmware that they/Vodafone released/updated naturally; that’s to say not one I forced on the phone. I forget which version this is I’m afraid.

Build quality/form
Generally superb, as I'm sure you're aware – an absolute pleasure to hold. A little bit big though – whilst holding the phone normally my thumb can’t reach the top of the screen so I have to reposition my hand to hit e.g. the top menu buttons (which is where menu usually is; if not it’s usually across the bottom* – see below) which is frustrating. I guess my hands are normal sized. I also have to reposition to hit the power button which is on the top-left (I’m a righty and I hold it in my left hand – I assume most do this?) And the volume rocker – both of which are very depressed/flush against the bodywork which does prevent accidental hitting, but makes them hard to press. I think I prefer my Sensation’s more accessible buttons.

The sound is amazing through speakers and headphones (even the bundled buds do a great job). Just amazing. Loud and bassy.
The screen is superb – I can’t give a more in-depth review I’m afraid
The camera is average – same as the Sensation really. Zoe is pointless IMO I’m afraid – it adds very little useful functionality and is buggy as hell
The battery seems pretty good considering it’s so powerful; I guess I get about 11 hours of moderate use. There is a power saver button that I have yet to press J
Blink feed is fine but it mostly just gives you headlines – you click on an item and it has to open the origin: facebook, the cnet website etc

Nuances!
*When an app’s menu bar is on the bottom it’s a solid black bar across the screen, just atop the back/home buttons. As the phone bezel is black it’s hard to see where the capacitive buttons are and the app menu bar is – I often hit the wrong one.

When I go to dial my sister ‘Lu’ it comes up with ‘Luke’ first, and I can’t actually find a way to dial ‘Lu’; I have to go through the contacts, which is annoying. I think this is because it’s a two-letter word – longer names work fine. Can’t imagine why Luke would be before Lu, but anyway.

You can’t set an custom mp3 as an alarm – just the default sounds (which are grim) - fixed

The default calendar widget doesn’t display what’s happening each say – just that something is happening. Useless. I installed Jorte calendar which does the job. Comparatively my wife’s Galaxy 3 mini has a good native calendar widget that displays events.

On the Sensation the notification bar swipe down had two tabs – one of which you could quick-access settings functions – toggle wifi etc; on the One you only have a full settings button so you can’t quickly toggle settings.

You can’t reorder the home screens – you have to wipe them and start again, which is well annoying! Especially as (whist editing the content) it appears that you can move them – you pick them up to do so – but they drop back into their original place regardless.

You don’t appear to be able to have different shortcuts (the 4 at the bottom) on the lock screen as you do on the…unlocked screen. You could on the Sensation. And you can only edit these 4 shortcuts whilst viewing the app tray, FYI – whereas from the Sensation you could edit them from anywhere.

I’m not really looking for solutions to these here – I’ll raise a bug with HTC if needs be; just thought I’d make you aware of what I’ve found.

Anyway…I’m pretty happy, but the honeymoon phase has worn off and these nuances are frustrating.

I’ll edit this over time.

Cheers
Last edited by GeoffBot; April 5th, 2013 at 08:11 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GeoffBot For This Useful Post:
Abird! (April 5th, 2013), gonowhere (April 11th, 2013), KOLIO (April 5th, 2013), marctronixx (April 5th, 2013), Scootmien (April 18th, 2013)