View Single Post
Old April 11th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #510 (permalink)
nickdalzell
AF Contributor

Device(s): Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab 3's
Carrier: Verizon

i stopped getting all high and mighty about spying online when i realized how redundant it was given how cell phone GPSs and even the connection to the towers itself (and yes, even your wifi at home) gets seen by who-knows-what these days. i once worried about animal control spying on any pet in my home who was chipped (although i am still very much against RFID tagging of humans as well as animals) but since Google and who knows what government entity probably knows my location based on wifi MAC address lookup (go to some website such as speedtest.net it will sometimes identify your home street address or such via WAN IP) it seemed stupid to worry about one form of spying when so many others are out there and cannot be turned off. if one uses their GPS or such *they* know where you are no matter what OS you use.

I won't go back to Windows for normal use as 90% of what i do can be done in Linux (albeit at a slow framerate and not stable). Mom is only sold on Linux because her Win7 got a virus (one of them fake antivirus things) and Linux is pretty immune to that stuff.

Bottom line: crying about Windows spying on you is redundant and moot if you use Google Maps or Google Now. *they* know where you are 24/7. even some new cars transmit your location (OnStar, anyone?). on some forums, people put some little image into their signatures that shows data based on your computer's WAN IP. it says something like 'You're located in Owensboro, Kentucky. you are using LINUX. your IP is xxx.xxx.x.x'
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (obsolete, slow, rooted)
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition
Last edited by nickdalzell; April 11th, 2013 at 05:31 PM.