April 15th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chesterfield UK
Device(s): Current: SGS4, SGS3, SGN 10.1, iPad4 64GB.
Retired: SGN, SGS2, SGS, SGT7",
Asus TF201, TF1
Carrier: Not Provided
Thanked 367 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by EarlyMon
What I want, no one makes -
- Sufficient storage so I don't have to manage one single thing, or, as little as possible, much, much less than now.
- All user storage accessed via USB mass storage, no more MTP, no more special PC add-ons to get to my stuff - all accessible with the world's simplest USB driver for any Windows, and no add-ons for a Mac or Linux PC.
- This can be done with an extra software layer between the USB port and memory storage, so stop telling me how hardware works, you manufacturers. If you can not figure how to apply an internal client/server model for that, pay me, I'll do it for you.
- And you can still share storage while connected, just like MTP, only without the Mickey Mousing around.
- Don't tell me that my internal storage has to be FAT32 to be accessed via USB storage. With a client/server model and a hardware buffer or two, that's not true.
- If there must be separate partitions for /data (where user apps+data go) and user storage, then give me a slider that I can use any time to raise one, lower the other
- If that's all one partition, fine. Do not break it into folders and hold my hand with MTP. Did I mention that I hate MTP? Because it basically sucks?
- No more bragging about how they've done me a favor with the new age of Honeycomb/ICS/Jellybean storage. The file system models are not modern, they're still stone age, better alternatives exist, fix it.
- Oh, yes you can span internal storage and an external card and address it all as one filesystem as far as the user is concerned. Advanced Linux platforms do this every single freaking day. Don't tell me you can't.
- Give me that with options that include 96 and 128 GB.
- If you want to use a card for that, fine. How about making the device recognize SDXC/UHS-1 instead of just SDHC/Class 10 and letting me triple my bandwidth?
- This just in, we're all sick and tired of hearing that widgets cannot go on to the sd card because of boot-time mounting issues and sd card speed. Fix it, we've only been complaining for years about that.
Except for one component described above, and I could be wrong on even that not already laying around somewhere, all of the technology I describe _exists_.
But it doesn't exist on a smartphone.
Excellent..... I personally would not add any further comment to that reply, it would not serve as any justice.
.........I don't always get your questions right.... but you'll certainly know I've tried.
P.S. Many thanks for the Thanks votes. Thanks received are converted into a charitable donation.