View Single Post
Old April 15th, 2013, 03:58 PM   #547 (permalink)
MoodyBlues
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanked 1,446 Times in 881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinny View Post
My assumption is how it used to be. For me ten years ago, getting certain wireless drivers to worked involved this, that, some beer, and cussing. These days its more straightforward. Either install it...or use make, depmod -a, modprobe.
Yeah, I remember when some wireless cards--like the notorious Broadcom 43xx series, wouldn't work without some hard-core tweaking. I used to have to do the ndiswrapper workaround to get wireless working with Broadcom, but those days are long gone.

Quote:
Linux has certainly come a log way, and can do...what....90% or so of all functions now? Give or take.
See, this I have a problem with! Linux has always been able to do WAY more than window$. That's because of its UNIX heritage. Just like UNIX was to DOS as the space age was to the stone age, Linux is to window$. Linux is more powerful, more versatile, more secure, more stable, etc. Linux 'under the hood' can do things just with its built-in commands that window$ users can't even imagine. But I think what you're referring to is how Linux has evolved over the years, from its original very geek-oriented beginnings to its current 'even clueless computer illiterate people can use it.' I can't argue with that, but it bothers me when Linux is characterized as working on catching up with window$, when the truth is that micro$oft has ALWAYS stolen concepts from *nix...and then implemented them badly.