View Single Post
Old April 27th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #104 (permalink)
EarlyMon
The PearlyMon

Device(s): LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 54,830 Times in 21,866 Posts

From AnandTech | Print The HTC One Review (empasis below is mine)

Quote:
Receive diversity is mandatory for LTE, but even the UMTS/WCDMA only One includes it since is is again required in part to enable the all metal design. All of the One models are based on Qualcomm's 28nm 2nd generation LTE baseband, the MDM9x15 platform we've seen a bunch of, and its DC-HSPA+/GSM-only (LTE blocks fused off) sibling, MDM8215 for the UMTS/WCDMA only model. This is a big step up from the international edition of the One X and One X+ which both shipped without receive diversity and were based on the aging Intel/Infineon XMM6260 platform.

Like any LTE-enabled handset right now, there's still no way to deliver a single SKU with support for all of the bands that are required, even with active tuning, just due to what transceivers we have. As a result there are a number of different announced variants of the One, which I've outlined in a table. There's also the rumored Verizon model which will no doubt just be a cousin of the Sprint version but instead with support for Band 13.

htc-one-bands.png
Attached is the datasheet for the Qualcomm modems used in the various models.

The Sprint model's modem will do GSM/GRPS/EDGE, but we've seen this same confusion on the releases for the Evo, 3vo and LTEvo - the modem support is there, but the limiting factor is always the actual radio transceiver chips.

The ifixit teardown is for the middle model with the MDM9215, so I don't have the transceiver chip to show (yet).

Could I be wrong? Yes. But it's rare for either AnandTech or I to get this one wrong.

PS - when clean, this will go into the FAQ were it belongs, it also helps answer questions about the DEV phone and what carriers it can work with.

PPS - Big thanks to marctronixx for the reminder and tip here!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf gobi-product-specs.pdf (2.50 MB, 4 views)
Last edited by EarlyMon; April 27th, 2013 at 07:25 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EarlyMon For This Useful Post:
Desert Cactus (April 27th, 2013), Hadron (April 27th, 2013), KOLIO (April 27th, 2013), marctronixx (April 27th, 2013)