So I managed to root successfully with chainfire's CF-Root
. Remember this is for i9505 only
for versions PRIOR to MDM (to find your current version, go to Settings -> More -> About device and scroll to Build number. The last 3 letters of mine are MDE, but later models have MDM or higher. For information about what to do with MDM or later, see here
1. Download CF-Root from here
2. Download and install either Kies or Samsung drivers for the S4 (v22.214.171.124, found here
3. Put phone in Recovery by turning off then holding Volume Down + Home + Power, and then pressing volume up when prompted.
4. Download Odin v3.04 from here
. Open up Odin (make sure Kies is closed if you have it). Your phone should be recognised and show up as a blue-green colour in the first box on the left.
5. Extract the contents of the CF-Root zip and add the md5 file to the PDA section of Odin. Ensure Re-Partition is not
6. Click Start and wait. Your phone should reboot and show a red android and some text and reboot again. It's now rooted!
The main problem I had was getting my PC to see the phone in Recovery mode. I didn't realise you needed the most recent Samsung drivers or Kies (despite the similarities to my username, I don't like Kies
). The current driver that recognises the S4 is v126.96.36.199. Older ones obviously don't work. You should uninstall older drivers before installing the new one.
Everything works as normal in root: Titanium restored all my apps just fine; Voltage Control adapts to the new phone and you can adjust voltage settings as you like; and Super User is installed automatically.
Regarding CWM, I don't think a working one is out for i9505 yet (keyword is working
). There's no TWRP out for it either.
I'm currently on Omega v1.0 rom. It's pretty stable, but nothing special yet.