View Single Post
Old May 6th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #141 (permalink)
GuitarG20
Clueless Senior Member

Device(s): Nexus 5, HTC One XL (retired)
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotBob View Post
Ordered the factory unlocked HTC One from HTC directly. A few questions.

Does this have the same radio's as buying it from T-Mobile or AT&T? Or are there different hard ware versions for different carriers? Which version am I getting.

How would updates for the phone get pushed. Would they come directly from HTC? Don't the carriers usually put out the ROM/Android updates?

Is the factory unlock a hardware or software thing? In other words, if I flash a ROM to this is it still carrier unlocked?

thanks,
BOb
I can't speak to the radios. However, if you get a phone unlocked from the factory, it won't come with any carrier bloatware, and you will get your updates pushed directly from the manufacturer as they don't have to get it approved through the carriers (slow) update approval process.

Most ROMs are carrier unlocked by default. Flashing a ROM shouldn't lock your phone to any particular carrier, and if it does you should be able to go back to being unlocked just by moving off the ROM in question.

See something you don't think should be here? Use the report button to let the moderators know!
The Following User Says Thank You to GuitarG20 For This Useful Post:
PilotBob (May 6th, 2013)