View Single Post
Old May 12th, 2013, 12:08 AM   #615 (permalink)
MoodyBlues
- Crazy peacock person -
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (rooted), Motorola Atrix 2, Motorola Atrix 4G (retired), Motorola Bravo (retired
Carrier: AT&T

Thanked 1,535 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell View Post
Unlike Windows Linux forgets things like the wallpaper setting if that session wasn't properly logged out.
I have yet to see that--and I'm in my 22nd year of using Linux.

EVERY aspect of a user's experience on Linux is controllable by the user [or the sysadmin]. You might want to take a look at your mom's configuration files in ~/.kde/share. Again, EVERYTHING is controllable on Linux--unlike on window$--usually with plain English configuration files--unlike on window$--that can be hand-edited or can be modified via 'system settings' type menu entries in your GUI.

I'm too tired and bored right now to offer any in-depth help, so I'll leave you with this simple, but not elegant, solution: Save a copy of her ~/.kde directory somewhere safe; make sure you save it when everything's working/looking as wanted. The next time she screws things up, just copy the backup back and you're good to go. Or, better yet, have a startup command that does it automatically.

The Following User Says Thank You to MoodyBlues For This Useful Post:
nickdalzell (May 13th, 2013)