Thread: Support S4 Instagram problems
View Single Post
Old May 22nd, 2013, 07:47 AM   #16 (permalink)
Sylon

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Nexus 4 Google Nexus 7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by briebrie2677 View Post
I have the same issue. Any pictures I took portrait are automatically put in landscape mode. Super annoying. Anyone know how to fix this so Instagram stops fixing all my pictures to be landscape?

Instagram limits all photos to square shapes, regardless what orientation they were taken in. Squares keep the feeds uniform. Even photos taken in landscape have their sides chopped off to fit the square shape restrictions.

Ways around this issue is to either take the photo originally with Instagram's built-in camera, crop the photo you take, or do what I do and take screenshots of your photos. It's dumb, I hate the square limit too, but it's a workaround. This is how I do it:

If the photo was originally taken in landscape, while viewing the photo in the gallery, I hold my phone in portrait orientation (like you normally would hold a phone) and take a screen shot. That way I can crop the photo into a square, yet still show the entire photo. For those photos originally taken in portrait, I hold the phone sideways before taking the screenshot. I then crop and upload. It's dumb, but it's a way of getting around the square limitation issue.