Sierra255 - I am thankful for any and all suggestions to get my system working so thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I've tried just that, probably 6 times now
I don't mean to threadjack shanezam203's post, but we could be having the same issue for all I know.
I have a Clarion CX501 bluetooth/mp3 receiver bought through Crutchfield. It has its own "auto connect" enable/disable but does not allow for specification between the HFP or A2DP profile. My goal is to simply have a successful automatic bluetooth connection between my car receiver and phone shortly after ignition. This worked for the original Galaxy S, but does not for the S4. I have attempted the following so far:
1. In all cases: unpaired car receiver device from my Galaxy S4's bluetooth settings
2. In all cases: deleted my car receiver's saved connections to the phone and audio pairings
3. Changed receiver's bluetooth code
4. Enabled/disabled receiver's auto-connect
5. Paired only the A2DP profile, only to find on next start that it auto-connects only to the HFP profile... every time.
6. Attempted a car/bluetooth auto connect app on the phone - close, but still requires me to take some manual action (plug in device to USB charger or disconnect/connect bluetooth in order to automate the A2DP connection).
I think my next step will be to factory reset the receiver. The very first time I paired the two devices, I did choose the HFP before audio. So for all I know it still has some data saved related to that.
If there are any other suggestions I'm open to hear them.