View Single Post
Old June 12th, 2013, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
twister6
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Fascinate, Droid X, Nexus 7, Note 2
Carrier: V

Well, if you think Shell Gel SG is not enough protection for you - here you got SG MAXX. As the name suggests, this series will take your protection to the next Maximum level. The design of the case is similar to Shell Gel SG in terms of three layers with inner silicone shell and outer hard plastic shell with molded third non-slip back layer. It has the same reinforced corner protection and Power/Volume covered buttons with a nice response. And you get a great lip around the screen to lay it flat without worrying of display touching the surface. To distinguish itself, MAXX also adds micro-usb port and headphone port dust covers. These are nicely attached to the inner silicone shell and in addition to being covers also have molded plugs to go right into the port opening. MAXX also comes with its own hard plastic holster that securely holds the case in place and has a swivel clip for portrait or landscape position. Here comes a big surprise - a rigid, user replaceable screen protector that according to Ballistic provides impact protection. This is not a screen protector you apply to the screen of the phone. And its not a permanently attached to the case screen protector. This one is part of the case assembly as a separate fourth protection layer where you have a choice to either using it or not. And if you are in a situation where you drop the case on an object protruded from the ground and screen protector is damaged (while saving your phone display), you can easily replace it with another one without replacing the whole case. Very easy. Of course, don't expect a clarity of a regular PET thin film protector or tempered glass. But this relatively clear plastic protector does it's job where you can see the screen, and use your fingers for navigation. I had no problem using air view functionality. I'm not going to lie, the screen image will look a little grainy with this screen protector on. But it obviously intended not for everyday use or for those extreme situations where impact protection of your screen is more valuable than crystal clarity. But like I said, you always have a choice of using it only if you need to. It's just a matter of sticking it under the corners of inner silicone shell where it stays securely attached. Samsung Galaxy S 4 Ballistic SG MAXX Series Case | goballisticcase.com

Here is a shot of all 3 cases side by side for a general comparison. Overall, very impressive collection for those who value their phone and put drop protection with a style at the top of their list. Btw, for comparison, I weighted all 3 and found Aspira to be 1.4oz (40g), Shell Gel SG to be 2.2oz (60g), and SG MAXX to be 2.6oz (74g) and together w/holster to be 4.5oz (128g).

Complete List of all smartphone and tablet Accessory and Gadget REVIEWS by Twister => HERE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Following User Says Thank You to twister6 For This Useful Post:
BLACKTOOTHGRIN (June 13th, 2013)